Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Summer Teaching Beach Reads Linky Party!




I am proud to say that after participating in Teaching Blog Traffic School, I have decided to try my second LINKY PARTY!

So I decided to create the Summer Teaching Beach Reads Linky Party! Below are some of the books I have been reading over the summer. Take a look, buy them if you want, and link up! ;)


So....I know all of you have been reading some kind of teaching book while lounging on the beach! I thought I would share what I am reading this summer to help improve my teaching! Now, I know there are a lot of books listed but I am making my way through them chapter by chapter!!


This is a great book to use to learn about the type of language you should be using with your students. What you say to your students definitely goes a long way! I know it is hard sometimes to stay positive but you have too! My goal this year is to try not to use my smiley face clip chart as long as possible and use a positive tone of voice. The Whole Brain Teaching method (book listed below) talks about "PRACTICE!" Instead of yelling or clipping students down. Practice, Practice, Practice!


This book is great to use as a grab and go resource! Do you have a student who is constantly defiant? The chapter on defiance in this book tells why they are defiant and gives you tips to help. I would love to use this throughout the year to solve the problems some of my tough kids are giving me!


I have been hearing so much about Whole Brain Teaching. And the great thing is everything is free! All online resources and videos too! I have come to some strategies in this book that I want to use this year. I love how it teaches kids whole brain listening and engages kids in learning. I would love to use this teaching strategy along with Responsive Classroom! Wish me luck :)

I had a lot of students last year who I will also have this year for 2nd grade. I thought since they already know my classroom procedures and school rules that I could teach them different social skills. I noticed last year that part of my class struggled with getting along and being kind to one another. I found this book while searching online. I love it! It provides 7 units with about 4-5 lessons within each one. You can also pick the activities that you want to use for each lesson. My goal is to take the first 6 weeks of school and teach a small 15 minute lesson each day. One of the things I love is that you can have your students create a little book on a binder ring. In the book, they right down what they learned from each lesson. This can be used as a great tool when they are struggling socially! (Instead of tattling!!!)
Finally, I plan on using this book this year to teach my students mini lessons during independent reading. I love how the lessons are laid out by month! I really like how Debbie Miller talks about students becoming independent during reading while teaching each other. She says "the more teachers talk, the quicker students become distracted." Kids love learning from each other. This is one of my goals this year, is to work on giving my students more partner time in reading and writing too.


I hope that you found these resources very helpful if you were looking for a new Teaching Beach Read to end your summer!! :) Feel free to use the graphic in the beginning of my post when linking up!

Thank you and good luck to all who are heading back to school soon! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...